Wednesday, January 23, 2013

************************************************************

Okay - so you don't want to read my life story. I can live with that.

 I've been through some more of Hector's first chapter. I know I said I wouldn't but I've read my Gentleman's Bedside Companion and I don't feel up to starting on a new book right now.

 I just don't know where he's going with this novel (?).

Listen to this: It's where Gervaise comes home from a visit to the psychiatrist.

His wife says: Well? What did he say?
He thinks I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Gervaise replies.

Borderline?

Yes, borderline


Sounds like sitting on the fence to me – Have you or haven't you got a personality disorder? says his wife.


No, you don't understand, says 
Gervaise.  But she interrupts him -


I mean,
Borderline… sounds like you can't make your mind up.


Ah well, this diagnosis throws a bit of light on that. He says.


On what? The fact that you only do things by halves? she smirks.


No. But you know how you're always going on at me for being indecisive?


Yes - you are.


Well, this explains it.


She demands to know what he is talking about.


Don't you see: If I didn't have a personality disorder I would be able to make rational, considered, good decisions. And if I did have a personality disorder I would make irrational, impulsive, bad decisions. Either way, I would still make decisions.
But being borderline means I'm neither one thing nor the other, so it makes it difficult for me to make any decisions at all! He finishes, triumphantly.

She frowns. And the psychiatrist told you this?

Not in so many words. But I was able to draw my own conclusions. You know... reading between the lines. You see, it’s an illness.

So what's he going to do about this "illness"? Demands his wife.

Do about it?

Has he given you some pills, or something?

He's given me a prescription but he would like you to come and see him - with me, I mean. What do you think? asks 
Gervaise tentatively.

Me? What does he want to see me for? There's nothing wrong with me

No, of course not - it's just so that he can discuss how you might be able to help

I'm going into no hospital. Might catch something

You can't catch mental illness

No, but what about this Norivirous thing?

His consulting room is nowhere near any of the wards

Can't you get your Madge to go with you?

He doesn't want to see my sister - he wants to see YOU . Shouts an exasperated Gervaise.
She thinks for a minute, then -

Best try the pills first… and by the way - don't go taking that prescription round to old what's is name - local chemist. I don't want everybody round here knowing you're not right in the head. It was bad enough when you had haemorrhoids - that horse-faced assistant of his stopped me in the Co-op and asked me how your bum was. So embarrassing.


-----------------------------

I'm writing to tell Hector not to send me any more chapters.

Anyway I am feeling a bit brighter, after a pretty rough week. All the old troubles coming back. No need to tell you about those of course. But what to do about it? That's the problem. It's only when you're getting a bit better that your realise how bad you've been.

Still, on we go... remember G K Chesterton -

For there are great deeds to be done
And fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise,
By way of Kensal Green.

(You probably don't know this, Anna, but Kensal Green is a famous    cemetery in London)

Hope the revising is coming along nicely.

Your George

No comments: