Saturday, February 15, 2014

The sides of the mountain

******************************

The destination has become more important than the journey - that's what's wrong, Anna. We want to get there before we've started out.

Remember Robert Pirsig? "The sides of the mountain are more interesting that the top... but you need the top to define the sides..." (That may not be a perfectly accurate quote but it's near enough).

I know I have said this before but see all the people on a train, reading their book, texting... anything to make the journey go quicker. Never looking out of the window at the scenery - or their fellow passengers. 

Instant gratification: the quicker, the faster, the easier...the better.

And I am speaking as someone who likes technology... praises technology, for where would we be without it? I wouldn't be typing this for a start. But perhaps we need be selective, and not dance to the tune of the gizmo industry. And also be aware that for every gain there is a loss. Very often the gain is worth the loss - but not always. And it's not the same for every person. 

I've started on my course of antibiotics, Anna. I have to take 4 a day - one hour before meals. Now that is hard to gauge, what with my busy schedule. My foot is sore but, you know me, I soldier bravely on.

I'm having a cup of tea now. And - guess what - it's raining again. We have had more rain this January than ever has been recorded, or since the universe began - something like that. Statistics are all very well, but the fact is, it's raining now!

I have finished my cup of tea and am going to get my cornflakes.


No comments: