Saturday, July 19, 2014

Dear Folk Lover

****************************************

Thank you for your comment.

The last time I heard the song 'I'll go no more a tunnelling...' was many years ago in the Dancing Parrot just off Water Street in Manchester. Sadly the pub is no longer there, having been demolished to build a flyover supporting the new Mancunian Way.

As to the words... I can only remember the chorus, which I think went something like this:

I'll go no more a' tunnelling
Down along Urmston way,
Though my wife has gone and left me
'Cos the gaffer he stopped my pay.
I'm lonely, cold and hungry,
Existing on the Dole,
But I won't go down the shaft again
Till they catch that bloody mole.

Sorry but this is all I am able to tell you.

Best of luck in your search.

George



No comments: