Monday, May 13, 2013

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained

****************************************************

Well, that let's you and me off the hook, Anna.


But seriously - I agree with William Blake.

We are as we are. And if people don't like it then it's up to them to try and change us.

The logic of Christianity

I was thinking the other day... you don't normally associate Christianity with Logic. But consider this -

Your genes (which you inherit) combine with your environment (everything that has happened to you since you were born) to create the person you are today. So, surely it is logical to accept and forgive - and (perhaps) even to love - everyone. Which is what I understand to be Christ's teachings.

Of course that does not mean you should stand in the path of a charging rhino (I was going to say that does not mean you should let everybody shit on you - but it sounded rather coarse).

Punishment - in a moral sense - is meaningless. Of course you may have to restrain someone - lock them up - who is clearly a danger to others. But it should be done without moral outrage. (Don't go baying for blood and banging on the doors of prison vans) Of course we must forgive the idiots who do that - they cannot help being idiots - but we should also help them to see the error of their ways.

Or to put it another way: Don't call someone a twat. Rather, gently point out to them their twattish behaviour. This may help them to change.

And don't forget yourself. You're not perfect (sorry Anna - I mean one is not perfect) so it may indeed be useful to 'cast out the beam in one's own eye so as to see better the mote in someone else's.'

But this is so difficult, what with all the daft buggers one has to contend with. Still, I suppose one must try.


Anyway...to change the subject. Surely Dave can appreciate my little jest!
I myself have been unemployed - though not for long - and I know how it feels.

And the jokes I made about you, Anna, were in the best possible taste. (and I haven't finished making them).

I am so glad you are doing well in your exams. And there is much about Sweden that appeals to me - as I have noted before in this column. It is just that I need to sort myself out first. Anyway, I don't think Dave would like Sweden - you have told me how he can't stand the cold - even in this country.

When will you have completely finished your exams?

I will leave you with this short poem:

The appetite grows
Upon that which it feeds -
That's why I've taken
A small flat in Leeds.

For it's true, as they say -
Every man has his needs -
And what better place to have them met,
Than Leeds.

Your George

No comments: