Saturday, April 05, 2014

Jumping for joy

**************************************

I didn't win the Grand National - but then, I'm not a horse.

The horse I backed didn't win either. Mountainous, it fell, so I'm told. I didn't watch the race.

I'm not sure that I think the race should be run. People say the horses enjoy it - but do they? Those jumps are terrifying. The jockeys must be brave little fellows - but at least they choose to do it; I don't suppose the horses do.

By the way, when I say 'backed' the horse, I don't mean I put the family silver on it. It was a modest wager. There was a time when I could not let a day go by without betting on something. But that is many years ago.

You never see a bookmaker riding a bike.

You may detect a slight sombre note  in  this post. It's nothing to do with losing a bet. I have so much to do yet I cannot find the mental energy. But I shall dance again.

Another of my articles has been published in the Lancet. Okay, not the Lancet, but another magazine which deals with problems that beset the human condition.

Perhaps I should say 'issues'. This word seems to have supplanted 'problems' nowadays. And why not! "There are no problems - only issues". Not a bad mantra.

But look here - it's twenty minutes past ten in the evening, and not the time for philosophical discourse.

It is always the time for philosophical discourse - I hear you say.

Well, maybe but I'm going on YouTube.

George

No comments: