Thursday, October 09, 2014

Great news on the economic front

**********************************

A British shipyard has won the contract to build a state-of-the-art nuclear submarine for the Latvian Navy.

Actually, all the bits will be made in Taiwan but it will be assembled over here. The contract is expected to provide jobs for 700 men (and possibly a few women).

It will also help to boost the tourist industry, since trials will be conducted on Loch Ness during the summer months. The government would not comment on the rumour that the submarine will also have a good look for 'Nessy', the Loch's famous 'monster', while down there.

All lies!

But I was thinking this morning that, if we really want to put an end to war, would it not be a good idea to stop making armaments? Of course I realise that this is a naive view.

A vast industry exists to build and sell weapons of war, and I don't expect you could you can close it down, just like that. Also, I suppose it could be said that a country needs weapons to protect itself. But how does selling weapons to another country protect your own nation?

Don't be silly, George, it's all about money - you know that.

I will pause here to make my breakfast.

By the way, I miss her, you know... Anna

No comments: