Thursday, April 27, 2006

Amanda castigates me

‘Well, you certainly fucked that one up’ Amanda is furious. ‘The time and effort I spent persuading that weird wife of yours to have you back for the weekend and what do you do? You’ve not been in the house five minutes and you’re making a grab for the big Swede’s tits.’
‘It was actually the following morning’ I demur.
‘Don’t get clever with me, George – I’m just not in the mood’. Angrily, she yanks a packet of cigarettes out of her coat pocket. (Oh yes, she is wearing her status symbol: white coat - complete with name badge - no doubt to emphasise the seriousness of the situation).
After several vicious jabs of her thumb the lighter still fails to ignite. She throws it across the room – narrowly missing my head. ‘Have you got any matches?’ she demands.
I smile, what I believe to be an “old fashioned smile”.
‘Oh no, of course, you wouldn’t have’. She takes the cigarette out of her mouth and stares at me.
I begin to feel uncomfortable, so I decide to go on the offensive. ‘I was set up – entrapment, that’s what it was.’
‘Oh, please. Don’t start making excuses.’
‘No, listen. The lesbian is behind all this. She must have told Anastasia to wear that provocative negligee – and to bend over me like that.’
Amanda is twirling the unlit cigarette between her fingers. ‘You just don’t understand the female psyche, do you!’
‘I gather that is meant to be a statement rather than a question, so I won’t bother to answer it.’
She regards me, coolly. ‘I bet you never looked at the “goodgirlzoot” website I told you about.’
‘Ah, well, that is where you are wrong, see. I did look at it! Poetry – isn’t it? The sort that doesn’t rhyme. And before you say you don’t believe me, I have written down one of the pieces – in my journal.’
That shook her. She’s snapped the cigarette in two. Shreds of tobacco all over the place. A cigarette looks quite disgusting when it’s broken in half.
‘Where is it? Let me see it.’ She is sitting up now, leaning forward.
‘Ah, no, you’re not getting hold of THIS journal – but I will write it down for you.’
‘What!’ Incredulous. ‘You mean to say you’ve remembered it?’

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

I'm sorry, George, but I'm finding it hard to continue reading your accounts. The emotional drain is just too much. I couldn't get past the title of this latest piece without having my hot flushes and palpitations again. I thought something dreadful had happened. Well, I admit, I didn't have my reading glasses on.....and so I inadvertently misread the title....but....