Wednesday, April 05, 2006

HOME FROM THE WAR

They flew me back from London. On account of the foot. The scanner fell on it. Well not the complete machine; just the control panel, on the end of that thick cable. All the same it broke two bones in my foot: 2nd and 3rd metatarsals, right foot. I think they were afraid I was going to sue – couldn’t do enough for me. I wouldn’t have sued; dead against the ‘compensation culture’, I am. Bloody careless though. It hurt like buggery, Still, I suppose it could have been worse: I could have caught that MFI bug – or whatever it is called.

I hate airports: all those people. I mean, where are they all going? You just wouldn’t think there were enough places in the world. Anyway, I don’t think it natural to be sealed in a tin tube for several hours and then disgorged onto some foreign tarmac. But of course we were only in the air for 45 minutes. ‘Easy Jet’ have this boarding system like you’re going into the lifeboats: women and children first. Of course I got to the head of the queue, because of the wheel chair.

I sat next to Amanda. She sulked the whole flight – because I pretended to be handcuffed to her.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Good Lord, George, we were beginning to think they'd interned you indefinitely.