Friday, April 07, 2006

A room with a view... to...

When I got back – what a welcome! No flowers and chilled Chardonay for me. They’d only given my room to Mad Eric, the arsonist! Just until his room is redecorated, they said. (And while Freddie carries out an investigation into where he got the matches).
They’ve put me in Alice’s old room. Nobody wants it after what happened to her. I think I told you how she was allowed home for the weekend, and hanged herself from the banister. I loved Alice. So I really don’t mind being in her room for a short while. It’s been emptied of all her things of course – and in fact it has been redecorated. So to all intents and purposes it is a new room. But I wonder if her spirit lingers there in some way.

Amanda wants to see me about my journals. She suspects me of making things up: inventing characters, events. You may also wonder about this. But fact and fiction are difficult to separate at the best of times. When you are dealing with the mind of someone who is perhaps ‘a little bit strange’ (to be charitable) the task is even harder. All I can tell you is that fact and fiction are mixed – in what proportion I leave to you to decide. When you have decided, perhaps you can tell me because I am not sure myself.

No comments: