Saturday, April 22, 2006

WHO' S WHO?

If you were walking down the street and you saw a man beating his wife with a big stick. And a policeman intervened, and the man turned on him and began hitting him over the head with his stick – what would you do?
And if, watching all of this was a group of children, all roaring with laughter, what would you think?

Welcome to Professor Codman’s Wooden-headed Follies: the Punch and Judy Show.

[Punch (noun)- a grotesque, hook-nosed, humped-backed buffoon, the chief male character of the Punch and Judy puppet show.] Dictionary definition.

In a red and white striped canvas booth, Professor Codman crouches, out of site, manipulating his grotesque wooden puppets – caricatures of real people. And as Punch smacks heads with his stick he shrieks, in his hoarse voice ‘That’s the way to do it… that’s the way to do it.’
He’s very politically incorrect, is our Mr Punch. The children love him.
He gets his comeuppance though: he gets eaten by a crocodile!
But he always returns at the end of the show, to take a bow.
Unlike Professor Codman – you never see HIM.

Now, the question is: how much of Mr Punch is Professor Codman? And how much of Professor Codman is Mr Punch?

Amanda (for 'tis she who speaks) raises herself on one elbow and looks down at me. ‘Well? What do you think?’
I stare up at the ceiling. ‘This sex therapy I’m having – does it come as part of the package or is it an extra?’
‘I was asking you about Professor Codman; don’t avoid the question.'

2 comments:

R J Adams said...

George! Have you tried having sex with the crocodile?

Anonymous said...

You know, I've been in therapy for years without a single incidence of sex therapy. I feel cheated and as if my therapy is somehow lacking. Of course, the argument could be made that I've never experienced this because all of my therapists have been women and I myself am a woman. That'd be wrong, though. I play both sides of the field. Amanda sounds just my sort, too. I wonder if she's taking clients from the right side of the walls? Would you find out for me, George?