Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Ordinary things

*********************************************************


If we looked longer at 'ordinary' things then perhaps they would look less ordinary.

I am going away for a few days on Wednesday. I need the break to be on my own. I shall look at some ordinary things - different ordinary things - and perhaps see into the reality behind them.

I am often over-stretched myself, Anna, and sometimes fear I am going to come off - the rails. Whilst away, I shall purchase a chain-splitter and fix the chain myself. I am quite good with mechanical things. You may think that surprising for an intellectual, but it's true.

I have just come back from a funeral. I want to talk about it but I can't get things in order - in my head - so many thoughts and feelings rattling about in there. It felt strange being in a church and listening to all the prayers and hymns and stuff that I knew as a boy. I joined in, a bit, but I couldn't go along with much of what the vicar (they call him 'father') was saying. Then we went to the crematorium - the vicar still presided but it was much more simple and somehow more real. (perhaps 'real' is the wrong word but, stripped of much of the religious ritual, it felt more to do with what was actually happening: we were remembering, with fondness and love, and sadness, someone we once knew).

It made me think that we should celebrate life and live it to the full. And that it is a good idea to love and respect people while they are here with us.

I have been to a couple of humanist funerals and found them very civilized, and somehow more to do with the person we were remembering, rather than an occasion to reinforce some creed or belief system.

Is unkind? I don't mean it to be. It's just what I think.

Anyway Anna, as I say, I am going away for a three days. I shall be taking my laptop with me so no communication problems. They say the weather in the Bahamas is good at this time of year - although I am actually going to Wales. Of course I shall think of you as I tread the mountain paths and climb the craggy creaks. I shall also think of you on the pier and in Marks and Spencers. And also in my favourite restaurant.

Look forward to seeing you soon

George

No comments: