Monday, March 08, 2010

The flowers that bloom in the Spring...

**********************************************************

Dear Anna

Have you ever noticed how people turn into other people as they grow up? I wonder what happens to all those people who have been left behind. Do they still exist, nestling, like those Russian dolls, one inside the other? You may think this is a philosophical question, which need not delay us at this juncture – but I find it fascinating.

I am pleased to hear that Sven is doing well in his new job as park warden. This is an ideal career for the socially aware and the ecologically minded. And there is the added advantage, in the summer, of being able to observe at close quarters the young office girls, sunbathing in their lunch break. Also he will have the excuse to get up close on the pretence of spearing a piece of litter with his pointed stick. I expect they have given him one? They are standard issue for English park wardens and I would not expect Sweden to differ in this respect.

I must, however, vigorously challenge your brother’s allegation that I owe him money. Those videos were supplied to me on a “Sale or Return” basis. I could not sell them: the sound quality was atrocious and the sub-titles were in Swedish. As for returning them – how could I do that? Sven and his company had relocated – in a hurry – and left no forwarding address. In the end I dumped them on the municipal rubbish tip.

Do you ever think about death, Anna? I do, frequently. I mean it’s so final, isn’t it: one minute you’re there, next minute you’re gone. I was with my mother when she died. I was sitting by her bed and she was breathing gently, as if she were asleep. And suddenly I notice that the breathing had stopped. It was if she had just slipped away. But slipped away to where?
You would think that if God cared so much about us he would make us perennial – like the crocus,or the tulip: we would die – but come back next year. I’m not religious, as you know, but I asked Derek if he was. He said, ‘I’m a Catholic, but not a good one. I replied, ‘Well, I’m an Atheist, but not a good one.
Freddie is an atheist, but I suppose Dr Singh is religious, him being a Hindu. Don’t they have this caste system? You know, where you are born into a particular caste and you stay in it? Then if you are ‘good’ in this life you move up a caste in the next. (That’s why they believe in reincarnation: no social mobility in this life but chance of a better hand of cards in the next.) I suppose if you do badly in this life then you move down a caste in the next – a bit like a football team: do well this season and you get promoted next season; do badly and you’re relegated. Of course, if you are an ‘untouchable’ you can’t get any lower, so I don’t know how they deal with that one – I suppose it’s all written down in the Upanishads.
I’ve just had a thought: If you are an ‘untouchable’ does that mean you can’t get mugged?

I think it is okay to buy food in a packet, if it is from Marks & Spencer: a fine example of Jewish enterprise. My wife (ex wife) you may remember, used to work for them. They were very good to their staff: free hair-do’s, free dental treatment, a company chiropodist - plus all the staff-discounts. I don’t think you get all these perks now, though.

It is a lovely Spring day here. I shall shortly stroll around the grounds (like Mrs Robinson) and look if I can see any born-again flowers. And, of course, think of you!

Yours always

George

1 comment:

Propoquerian said...

what a beautifully written blog. George--the image of the wooden dolls, one inside the other, is so clear to me. While I have learned many lessons and have chosen to act differently in certain situations should i come upon them again, sometimes, just the way i promised i wouldn't behave again, i behave. and i realized, we never fully shed our former selves. I look forward to continuing to read your blog. read mine if you have time time!

propoquerian.blogspot.com